"At once intimate and literally operatic, it's everything I love about Katherine Addison's writing, in ways I didn't know to expect. I loved it." —John Scalzi
Katherine Addison returns to the glittering world she created for her beloved novel, The Goblin Emperor, in this stand-alone sequel
When the young half-goblin emperor Maia sought to learn who had set the bombs that killed his father and half-brothers, he turned to an obscure resident of his father's Court, a Prelate of Ulis and a Witness for the Dead. Thara Celehar found the truth, though it did him no good to discover it. He lost his place as a retainer of his cousin the former Empress, and made far too many enemies among the many factions vying for power in the new Court. The favor of the Emperor is a dangerous coin.
Now Celehar lives in the city of Amalo, far from the Court though not exactly in exile. He has not escaped from politics, but his position gives him the ability to serve the common people of the city, which is his preference. He lives modestly, but his decency and fundamental honesty will not permit him to live quietly. As a Witness for the Dead, he can, sometimes, speak to the recently dead: see the last thing they saw, know the last thought they had, experience the last thing they felt. It is his duty use that ability to resolve disputes, to ascertain the intent of the dead, to find the killers of the murdered.
Now Celehar's skills lead him out of the quiet and into a morass of treachery, murder, and injustice. No matter his own background with the imperial house, Celehar will stand with the commoners, and possibly find a light in the darkness.
Katherine Addison has created a fantastic world for these books – wide and deep and true.
At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
- New Arrivals | eBooks
- Latinx Heritage Month
- #BroaderBookshelf 2021: Read a Fiction Book Published by an Independent Publisher
- #BroaderBookshelf 2021: Read a Nonfiction Book Published by an Independent Publisher
- #BroaderBookshelf 2021: Read a book set in South America or Central America
- #BroaderBookshelf 2021: Read A Social Science Book (Gender and Feminism)
- #BroaderBookshelf 2021: Read A Book With A Cat Or Dog On The Cover ( Fiction and Mysteries)
- #BroaderBookshelf 2021: Read A Book With A Cat Or Dog On The Cover ( Non Fiction)
- Historical Romance Novels
- See all
- New Arrivals | eAudiobooks
- Audiobooks for Latinx Heritage Month
- Historical Romance Audiobooks
- 2021 Audie Award Finalists
- 2020 Audie Finalists
- See all
- Featured Magazines
- Let's Get Cooking!
- News, Politics, and Business
- Lifestyle Magazines
- Popular Magazines
- All Magazines
- See all